United States Citizenship and Immigration Services - Revision to the I-9


REVISION TO THE I-9

  Last month, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) released its most recent revised version of the I-9 form, also known as the Employment Eligibility Verification Form. The new I-9 can be found here: https://www.uscis.gov/news/alerts/revised-form-i-9-now-available. Employers can immediately switch over to the revised version or continue using the I-9 with a revision date of 11/14/16 up until September 17, 2017. On September 18, 2017, however, employers must use the revised form with a revision date of 07/17/17 for all new employees. Although the revisions may seem inconsequential, they are designed with the intention of making the form easier to navigate and reduce the number of errors. 

  Employers must continue following existing storage and retention rules for any previously completed Form I-9 and the rules regarding storage and retention have not changed under the newly revised I-9. Current employees do not have to fill out the new forms, even though the acceptable documents list has changed. Be warned, if an employer fails to identify a new worker using the proper I-9 form, violators may face significant fines reaching upwards of $2,156 per employee. 

  As the new changes take place, employers are encouraged to review the Handbook for Employers: Guidance for Completing Form I-9 (M-274) to ensure understanding and compliance with all rules and procedures.





















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 Small Business Administration Programs

What is Next If your Employee Tests Positive for COVID-19?

A SUBCONTRACTOR’S HOSTILE WORK ENVIRONMENT CAN BE A GENERAL CONTRACTOR’S LIABILITY